The University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Department of Agricultural Economics’ Farm and Ranch Management team is presenting a series of webinars focusing on management, profitability, economic outlook and farm survival.
The live webcasts will cover topics and issues relevant to producers and communities in the state. They will be presented by experts from across the country and include time for questions and answers.
The free webinars will be held on Zoom and will run for approximately one hour. Registration is open to everyone until the start of each session (see schedule below).
Additional webinars are expected to be announced.
Additional information, a schedule of upcoming webinars and recordings of each session will be available on this page.JUMP TO RECORDINGS
Upcoming WebinarsAll times central.
Ballot Initiatives: Election Day 2020
Thursday, Oct. 29, noon.
Dave Aiken, professor and agricultural law specialist, Department of Agricultural Economics.
Medical marijuana will not be on the 2020 general election ballot, but capping payday lender interest rates and casino gambling at race tracks will be. Learn about the potential pros and cons of each ballot issue.
Aiken will explain each of the six initiatives facing voters, along with the positions of both proponents and opponents of each issue and what the potential impact of each issue could be, especially on property taxes.
Measures on the Nov. 3 ballot that will be discussed include two proposed constitutional amendments: one that would eliminate slavery or involuntary servitude as punishment of a crime and another that would extend the maximum time for tax increment financing for redevelopment projects in cities and villages from 15 to 20 years if at least half the project area is extremely blighted. Ballot initiatives that will be covered include a proposal to reduce payday loan charges, and a trio of proposals centered around allowing and regulating casino gambling.
- Oct. 22 - The Financial State of Ag for Nebraska Producers, with Tina Barrett, Nebraska Farm Business, Inc.
- Oct. 15 - Farm Income and Farm Program Payment Updates, with Brad Lubben, Agricultural Economics.
- Oct. 8 - 2020 Property Tax Changes, with Dave Aiken, Agricultural Economics
- Oct. 1 - The Economic Impact of Nebraska Agriculture , with Brad Lubben and Jeffrey Stokes, Agricultural Economics, and Eric Thompson, UNL Bureau of Business Research
- Sept. 24 - Troubles in the Cattle Markets: A Farm Organization's Response, with Jay Rempe, Nebraska Farm Bureau
- Sept. 15 - Virtual Seminar — Payoffs to Metaphylaxis in High Health Risk Feeder Cattle, with Elliott Dennis, Agricultural Economics
- Sept. 10 - Farmland Trends and Lease Considerations for 2021, with Jim Jansen, Allan Vyhnalek and Austin Duerfeldt, Agricultural Economics
- Sept. 3 - Ownership Retention Decisions: Is the Market Willing to Pay?, with Elliott Dennis and Jay Parsons, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 27 - Successful Ag Succession: Communications and Negotiation, with Allan Vyhnalek, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 20 - Business and Health Care Powers of Attorney, with Dave Aiken and Allan Vyhnalek, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 13 - Marketing Corn and Soybeans After the August WASDE Report, with Jessica Groskopf, Robert Tigner and Cory Walters, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 6 - Drought: Financial Implications of Possible Decisions with Elliott Dennis and Robert Tigner, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 5 - Ag Estate Planning During a Pandemic with Allan Vyhnalek, Agricultural Economics, and Monte Schatz, Vandenack-Weaver
- July 30 - 2020 Nebraska Farm Custom Rates Overview with Glennis McClure, Agricultural Economics
- July 23 - Financial Considerations of Forage Purchases with Robert Tigner, Agricultural Economics
- July 16 - 2020 Nebraska Farm Real Estate Report Overview with Jim Jansen, Agricultural Economics
- July 9 - Cash Flowing to the Other Side of COVID-19 with Kevin Bernhardt, University of Wisconsin-Madison Extension
- July 2 - Insurance Tools for Managing Forage Production Risk with Jay Parsons, Agricultural Economics
- June 25 - Managing Risk in the Hog Market with Tim Hughes, Commodity & Ingredient Hedging, LLC.
- June 18 - Force Majeure: How Extraordinary Events Can Impact Ag Contracts with Dave Aiken, Agricultural Economics
- June 11 - Farm Survival Marketing Strategies (grain marketing) with Robert Tigner, Agricultural Economics
- June 4 - Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) in Nebraska: What You Need To Know with Cathy Anderson, Nebraska FSA
- June 2 - Risk Management & Livestock Risk Protection (By Nebraska Cattlemen)
- May 28 - Ethanol: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrowwith Rick Berry, Nebraska Ethanol Board
- May 21 - Managing Behavioral Health: A Key to Farming and Ranching in the Era of COVID with Michael Rosmann, Ag Behavioral Health
- May 14 - Meat Packing Industry: How Capacity, Workers and Supply Chain Flow Have Changed due to COVID-19 with Steve Kay, Cattle Buyer's Weekly
- May 7 - Strategies for Business Success During COVID-19 with Dave Goeller, farm and ranch transition and succession consultant
- April 30 - Leading Yourself, Your Workforce and Your Business in the COVID-19 Crisis with Bob Milligan, Dairy Strategies, LLC.
- April 23 - USDA Farm Service Agency Program Tools to Assist Producers During the COVID-19 Pandemic with Nebraska FSA.
- April 16 - COVID-19 Economic Developments and U.S. Agriculture with Nathan Kauffman, Kansas City Federal Reserve.