The University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Department of Agricultural Economics’ Farm and Ranch Management team is presenting a series of webinars focusing on management, profitability, economic outlook and farm survival.
The live webcasts will cover topics and issues relevant to producers and communities in the state. They will be presented by experts from across the country and include time for questions and answers.
The free webinars will be held on Zoom and will run for approximately one hour. Registration is open to everyone until the start of each session (see schedule below).
Additional information, a schedule of upcoming webinars and recordings of each session will be available on this page.JUMP TO RECORDINGS
Upcoming WebinarsAll times central.
Understanding the How and Use of NASS Cattle Reports
Thursday, April 29, noon
With: Nick Streff, USDA NASS, and Elliott Dennis, UNL Agricultural Economics
Nick Streff is the Director of the USDA NASS Northern Plains Regional Field Office in Lincoln NE. Nick oversees data collection, analysis and publication of NASS estimates for the state’s of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas. Prior to moving to Nebraska, Nick was the hogs and pigs statistician for USDA NASS. Nick will be taking us through an in depth look at the NASS cattle reports.
Agricultural Assistance Through PAP, ARP, and CFAP: What Are These and Why Should Farmers, Ranchers Care?
Thursday, May 6, noon
With Brad Lubben, Nebraska Extension Policy Specialist, and Cathy Anderson, Nebraska USDA Farm Service Agency Production and Compliance Section Chief
Farmers and ranchers may have heard of the Pandemic Assistance for Producers Initiative, the American Rescue Act Plan and the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program. All have been in the news, but what do each of them mean for Nebraska’s producers? UNL’s Brad Lubben along with the Nebraska USDA Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) Cathy Anderson will provide an overview of each and give direction for farmers and ranchers regarding the current open application period for the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) 2 at FSA offices across the state.
- April 15 - Carbon Markets and Carbon Banks: What Do They Mean for Nebraska Agriculture? with Dave Aiken, UNL Agricultural Economics
- April 8 - Panel Discussion: Proposed Changes to Capital Gains with Paul Neiffer, CPA, and Katie Samples Dean, attonrey
- March 25 - Understanding the How and Use of NASS Hog Inventory Reports with Nick Streff, USDA NASS, and Elliott Dennis, UNL
- March 18 - 2021 Nebraska Farm Real Estate Survey - Preliminary Results Overview with Jim Jansen, Nebraska Extension
- March 11 - Nebraska Sales Tax and Exemptions for Agriculture with Austin Duerfeldt, Nebraska Extension.
- March 4 - Succession and Estate Planning for Farm and Ranch - Part 2 with Allan Vyhnalek, UNL, and Brandon Dirkschneider, Certified Farm Transition Specialist.
- March 1 - Making Farm Program and Crop Insurance Decisions for 2021 with Cory Walters, Brad Lubben and Jessica Groskopf, UNL Agricultural Economics.
- Feb. 25 - Succession and Estate Planning for Farm and Ranch - Part 1 with Allan Vyhnalek, Nebraska Extension.
- Feb. 11 - It Costs How Much? Understanding Costs of Production with Nebraska Extension panel.
- Feb. 4 - Are Livestock Producers Willing to Pay for Traceability Programs? with Elliott Dennis, James Mitchell and Brian Vander Ley.
- Jan. 28 - Adding Value to Livestock Through Approved Certification Programs with Elliott Dennis, Tom Brink and Andrew Dorn.
- Jan. 21 - The Role of the Odor Footprint Tool in Livestock Nuisance Litigation with Dave Aiken and Rick Stowell, UNL
- Jan. 14 - Preparing for Loan Renewal financial panel
- Dec. 17 - Farm Program and Ag Policy Updates, with Cathy Anderson, FSA, and Brad Lubben, Agricultural Economics
- Dec. 10 - Farm Tax Law Changes in 2020, with Tina Barrett, Nebraska Farm Business, Inc.
- Dec. 3 - 2021 Crop Budgets and the new Agricultural Budget Calculator Program, with Glennis McClure, Agricultural Economics
- Nov. 19 - Evaluating Risk Management Alternatives via RightRisk Analytics, with John Hewlett and Jay Parsons
- Nov. 12 - Livestock Risk Management and LRP Updates with USDA and the national Extension Risk Management Education Program)
- Nov. 5 - Farm Credit in 2020: A Lending Institution Perspective Panel discussion
- Oct. 29 - 2020 Ballot Measures with Dave Aiken, UNL Agricultural Economics (Oct. 29, 2020 Webinar)
- Oct. 22 - The Financial State of Ag for Nebraska Producers, with Tina Barrett, Nebraska Farm Business, Inc.
- Oct. 15 - Farm Income and Farm Program Payment Updates, with Brad Lubben, Agricultural Economics.
- Oct. 8 - 2020 Property Tax Changes, with Dave Aiken, Agricultural Economics
- Oct. 1 - The Economic Impact of Nebraska Agriculture , with Brad Lubben and Jeffrey Stokes, Agricultural Economics, and Eric Thompson, UNL Bureau of Business Research
- Sept. 24 - Troubles in the Cattle Markets: A Farm Organization's Response, with Jay Rempe, Nebraska Farm Bureau
- Sept. 15 - Virtual Seminar — Payoffs to Metaphylaxis in High Health Risk Feeder Cattle, with Elliott Dennis, Agricultural Economics
- Sept. 10 - Farmland Trends and Lease Considerations for 2021, with Jim Jansen, Allan Vyhnalek and Austin Duerfeldt, Agricultural Economics
- Sept. 3 - Ownership Retention Decisions: Is the Market Willing to Pay?, with Elliott Dennis and Jay Parsons, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 27 - Successful Ag Succession: Communications and Negotiation, with Allan Vyhnalek, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 20 - Business and Health Care Powers of Attorney, with Dave Aiken and Allan Vyhnalek, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 13 - Marketing Corn and Soybeans After the August WASDE Report, with Jessica Groskopf, Robert Tigner and Cory Walters, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 6 - Drought: Financial Implications of Possible Decisions with Elliott Dennis and Robert Tigner, Agricultural Economics
- Aug. 5 - Ag Estate Planning During a Pandemic with Allan Vyhnalek, Agricultural Economics, and Monte Schatz, Vandenack-Weaver
- July 30 - 2020 Nebraska Farm Custom Rates Overview with Glennis McClure, Agricultural Economics
- July 23 - Financial Considerations of Forage Purchases with Robert Tigner, Agricultural Economics
- July 16 - 2020 Nebraska Farm Real Estate Report Overview with Jim Jansen, Agricultural Economics
- July 9 - Cash Flowing to the Other Side of COVID-19 with Kevin Bernhardt, University of Wisconsin-Madison Extension
- July 2 - Insurance Tools for Managing Forage Production Risk with Jay Parsons, Agricultural Economics
- June 25 - Managing Risk in the Hog Market with Tim Hughes, Commodity & Ingredient Hedging, LLC.
- June 18 - Force Majeure: How Extraordinary Events Can Impact Ag Contracts with Dave Aiken, Agricultural Economics
- June 11 - Farm Survival Marketing Strategies (grain marketing) with Robert Tigner, Agricultural Economics
- June 4 - Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP) in Nebraska: What You Need To Know with Cathy Anderson, Nebraska FSA
- June 2 - Risk Management & Livestock Risk Protection (By Nebraska Cattlemen)
- May 28 - Ethanol: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrowwith Rick Berry, Nebraska Ethanol Board
- May 21 - Managing Behavioral Health: A Key to Farming and Ranching in the Era of COVID with Michael Rosmann, Ag Behavioral Health
- May 14 - Meat Packing Industry: How Capacity, Workers and Supply Chain Flow Have Changed due to COVID-19 with Steve Kay, Cattle Buyer's Weekly
- May 7 - Strategies for Business Success During COVID-19 with Dave Goeller, farm and ranch transition and succession consultant
- April 30 - Leading Yourself, Your Workforce and Your Business in the COVID-19 Crisis with Bob Milligan, Dairy Strategies, LLC.
- April 23 - USDA Farm Service Agency Program Tools to Assist Producers During the COVID-19 Pandemic with Nebraska FSA.
- April 16 - COVID-19 Economic Developments and U.S. Agriculture with Nathan Kauffman, Kansas City Federal Reserve.