Beef Resources and Publications
Excel spreadsheet to compare value differences among bulls of the same type.
Excel spreadsheet that estimates the average annual breeding costs per calf. More information available here.
Excel spreadsheet designed for producers to estimate the cost of maintaining bulls for their herd. More information available here.
Excel spreadsheet that estimates net benefits of buying a heifer instead of raising them. Based on this analysis it provides a Cumulative Distribution Function(CDF) graph of net benefits. To learn more about stochastic partial budgeting and guidance on entering data in the spreadsheet click here.
Excel spreadsheet that gives an example of partial budgeting of buying replacement heifers vs. raising them considering the possibility of a drought.
Excel spreadsheet that calculates the cost of raising one calf. Through that computation, producers can estimate profitability. (For this spreadsheet to work correctly, please enable macros. Go to the security warning in the top menu bar. Click options, then click "enable this content.")
Calculates an equitable share arrangement for leasing cows. The password for this spreadsheet is "cow."
Excel worksheet for matching livestock size and numbers with corn stalk acres needed with a cost.
Example compares the cost of TDN and Crude Protein in different feeds considering transportation and handling costs and losses. It also calculates the feed needed and total cost given herd size and days fed. The "With Examples" spreadsheet is the spreadsheet with some sample feeds entered.
An Excel worksheet that calculates breakevens for feeders or cull cows.
A worksheet for estimating the cost for developing water sources for livestock in grazing areas. This worksheet is from extension circular EC03-821 published by the University of Nebraska.
Economic Considerations for Preconditioning Calves for Feedlot - Cow-calf producers can add value to calves by using precondition programs management practices that prepare calves to enter grazing or backgrounding programs, or into a feedlot.
- CME Group Live Cattle Futures and Options
- USDA-AMS Livestock Price Reports
- National Cash Cattle, Negotiated Purchases
Morning | Afternoon | Summary
- Nebraska Cash Cattle, Negotiated Purchases
Afternoon | Summary
- Nebraska Daily Weighted Average Fed Cattle Price, Negotiated Purchases
- Daily Slaughter
- Boxed Beef Prices
Morning | Afternoon | Weekly Average Report
Feeder Cattle Prices
- CME Group Feeder Cattle Futures and Options
- CME Feeder Cattle Index
- USDA-AMS Feeder Cattle Auctions
- Nebraska Weekly Weighted Average Feeder Cattle Report
- Bassett Livestock Auction
- Burwell Livestock Auction
- Ericson-Spalding Livestock
- Huss Platte Valley Auction (Kearney)
- Imperial Auction
- Lexington Livestock
- Ogallala Livestock Auction
- Tri-State Livestock Auction (McCook)
- WY, W. NE., SW. SD, & W. ND Direct Feeder Cattle
- Superior Video Auction
- Superior Stampede Internet Auction
- Western Video Market